“Kingdom Come”, Matthew 7.13-23, Sermon on the Mount Series
Sermon on the Mount Series: Fourteenth Lesson, Matthew 7.13-23
Learning Objectives - motivation to:
- Stay on the right road
- Stay alert
- Stay sincere
- QUESTION: Highlights so far?
- Contrast with Matt 7.12. What that does not look like.
- An anti-postmodernism section par excellence!
1. Two Ways
- Choice: Jer. 21:8
- The gates: ’stene (“narrow,” v13) and tethlimmene (v14), “tribulation”, Matt 5:10-12, 44; 10:16-39; 11:11-12; 24:4-13.”
- Leads to life - the hearers have not entered yet. They must make a choice.
- Many / Few: Luke 13:22-30 / Rev 7:9
- Find it: Ties in with Matt 7.7-8.
- Warning - when you see a wide gate, reject it and search for a narrow one.
- Life: It’s Jesus! Jn 10.9. Find him and you find the gate - and life.
- QUESTION: How can we recognise when we are ‘going with the flow’?
2. Two Trees
- Didn’t take long: 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:1–3; Revelation 2:20.
- Wolves: Acts 20.29-30.
- QUESTION: How can we recognise the wolves?
- Jesus: Jn 10.11-13.
- Not a doctrinal but an ethical test.
3. Two Claims
A. Claims to be a disciple
- Calling him “Lord’ - kyrios
- Know but refuse - Matt 19.16-30
- On their terms - Matt 8.18-22
- Key issue - “only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 7,21
B. Charismatic activity
- Jesus is welcoming of anyone on his ‘side’ (Mark 9.39-41), but anyone claiming a relationship with him must do so with respect. Acts 19.11-20!
- “What you really mean, Jesus is …………..”
- QUESTION: How could this warning apply to us?
- Two Fridays’ time sharing about what been helpful etc.
- Discuss with friends and bring something to share if you like in 2 weeks’ time
Thank you for listening to this podcast. You can find more episodes in our feed. Our web site is http://www.tvcoc.org.
Please add your comments on this week’s topic. We learn best when we learn in community.
Do you have a question about the Bible or the Christian faith? Is it theological, technical, practical? Send us your questions or suggestions. Here’s the email: email@example.com.
Thanks again for listening. Have a super day.
Topics: Banbury, Beaconsfield, Bracknell, Christian churches near me, churches close to me, Churches of Christ, Deepcut, Frimley, ICCM, ICOC, International church, Lower Earley, Malcolm Cox, Oxford, Reading, Shevvy Dannatt, Southampton, Sunday School, Thames Valley, Thames Valley church of Christ, Thames Valley churches of Christ, Thames Valley location, the Thames Valley, Tim Dannatt, tvcoc, Wokingham, Youth Ministry